[aur-general] AUR and unsuported architectures

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Thu May 31 03:38:05 EDT 2012

On 31/05/12 01:58, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently seen some comments in AUR, where a user points out that X
> package works well on powerpc/arm.
>
> I was wondering what's the general approach given to these architectures
> on AUR; since AUR is unsupported, is it ok to add these architectures to
> the PKGBUILD's arch array?
>
> If it is ok, is it *advised* to do so when apropriate?
> Supported architectures should see absolutely no change regarding these
> packages, and unsupported one will benefit from it.
>
> Again, being AUR unsupported anyway, I see nothing bad out of this, but
> I'd like to know the TU's stance on this, especially since I'm about to
> install archlinuxppc on one of my laptops. :)
>
> Cheers, thanks,

When I first though about it, I wanted to say "why not", it doesn't hurt
the functioning of the normal i686,x86_64 packages.

Except there might be a few drawbacks:
* Become a place where ARM/PPC/* will look for support
* ARM/PPC/* Folks might want to add patches specific for their
architecture to AUR packages.

--
Jelle van der Waa