[pacman-dev] Differences between pacman and pacman-g2

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:19:27 EST 2008

2008/2/11, ciol <ciol13 at gmail.com>:
> Hi, what are the differences between pacman and pacman-g2?

pacman-g2 is a fork of pacman maintained by Frugalware developers.
* libalpm renamed to libpacman, and with time became more different in
some places,
so I believe they are not very compatible now,
also I guess config files are incompatible as well
* it uses libftp instead of libdownload (although they patch it
anyway, so I don't see the benefit they've claimed in their README in
past)
* claims to provide a stable API
* has bindings for some languages
* supports subpackages
* Frugalware uses sha1sums and bzipped packages IIRC
* many _F* extensions used in Frugalware's PKGBUILDs.

Frugalware's point of view is described in pacman-g2's README
Also read its history - it's interesting.
The current version is pretty unbiased, the only incorrect thing I've
found during a quick look is:
> Some features that pacman-g2 has over pacman: (September 2007)
> 4) Localized manpages.
We do have localized manpages.

AFAIR at least 3 small distributions use(d) pacman,
and IIRC one use{s,d} pacman-g2.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)