[pacman-dev] Pacman, sqlite and dialectic of competent people

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:18:02 EST 2008

Wanted to get some relevant linkage in this thread:

http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2006-October/006113.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-November/009936.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-November/010278.html

I am going to try really hard to keep this civil in here, so please do
the same. I post the above links for this reason- this idea has come
up many times before. And every time it doesn't seem to catch the
attention of our devs. To find out why, you are going to have to do
some reading of the above threads.

This is not to say it can't be done. I just don't think those of us
that are currently coding a lot of things for pacman find this to be a
priority or a big problem in our minds, and/or think there are other
ways to better solve the problem, such as reading straight from a
tar.gz database which libarchive makes *really* easy, but the current
pacman code needs some work to support. I would be very interested in
working on a refactoring so that multiple backends could be possible-
the code as it currently stands makes that awfully hard.

-Dan