[pacman-dev] Translation errors

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:44:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Roman Kyrylych
<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> Translation of [Y/n] is possible, but I guess it's the decision of translator
> if it should be translated.
> The problem it cannot be translated to some languages (e.g. East-European)
> because users of those languages usually have 2-3 different keyboard layouts.
> For example many people in my country use English, Ukrainian and Russian
> layouts simultaneously, so switching them just to answer the [Y/n] question
> is PITA.
> This problem doesn't exist for users which use only Latin-based layout, I guess.

There is a difference between the string printed : [Y/n] and the
strings used to check the output against, which are : yes , no , y , n
.
Which is why you have to translate all the following strings, and be
very careful to keep consistency :
#, c-format
msgid "[Y/n]"
msgstr ""

#, c-format
msgid "[y/N]"
msgstr ""

#, c-format
msgid "Y"
msgstr ""

#, c-format
msgid "YES"
msgstr ""

#, c-format
msgid "N"
msgstr ""

#, c-format
msgid "NO"
msgstr ""

As long as you are consistent, you indeed have the choice to translate
these or not.

All the above are currently only used in pacman. But makepkg also has
a question :
msgid "    Are you sure you wish to do this? [Y/n] "
msgstr ""

This one should NOT be localized, because it currently only checks
against yes and y.
However Allan and I both proposed equivalent patches for fixing this.
But I am not sure yet if it should be applied for 3.2 or not.