[pacman-dev] inside PKGBUILD customizable makepkg PURGE_TARGETS

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 2 16:48:07 EST 2009

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
>     Hello all!
>
>     Again I have a proposal to enhance makepkg PURGE_TARGETS handling.
>
>     I think that enabling customizing PURGE_TARGETS inside PKGBUILD
> would be a benefit in the following context:

Without checking, I would have thought that exporting
"PURGE_TRAGETS=..." within a package function would just work.  I guess
the old value would not be restored afterwards though.

>     * I have a software package that contains: an application, a
> static library, a dynamic library, and some development files;
>     * I want to create separate packages: something-bin, something-lib
> (shared library), something-dev (include and static library), and
> maybe something-doc;
>
>     What I have to do today (maybe there is a different way, please
> correct me): I create a `something-lib_package` function in which I
> make a normal install, but then I delete all unneeded files.

Given this is a fairly common thing to do in the Linux world, most
software supports this in the Makefiles. "make install-libs" "make
install-docs" etc.