[pacman-dev] Info pages install template(was: alpmtrigger: triggering events after all packages got installed...)

Jeff jeff at kcaccess.com
Fri Sep 11 21:15:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 07:17:57PM +0200, Xavier wrote:

> By the way, I am against this info pages scriptlet, it causes a lot of
> work to packagers for very little benefit.
> If people care about the info index, they can maintain it themselves.
> But if packagers think this is an important point, then it should be a
> motivation to think about an easier and more global way to handle it.

I agree that this is something that should be made easier and *possibly*
even configurable for those that don't care about info pages (though the
speedup will be very negligible), but ignoring it from the packaging
aspect completely is really no different than saying, "Let's not bother
updating ld.so.cache after installing a library. If the user wants to
use a just-installed library let them run ldconfig themselves." Granted,
this is a contrived example, but the package management software must
deal with all aspects of installing package X regardless of personal
preferences (even if dealing with it means a way of letting people
ignore a given feature).

--
Jeff

My other computer is an abacus.