[pacman-dev] NEWS for 3.4.0 - very, very draft

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Fri May 14 22:53:23 CEST 2010

> That's an interesting git command, but shouldn't you use maint or
> v3.3.3 rather than v3.3.0 ?
>
> And maybe it's better to look at the bug tracker for finding the most
> important and visible changes :
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=index&tasks=&project=3&due=69&status[]=
>
> But I think your list is already mostly fine, except it miss the
> single most important change IMO :)
>
> commit 0da96abc900560f21c643b255c94a60232f4a24b
> Author: Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu>
> Date:   Tue Jun 9 17:23:46 2009 +0200
>
>     Use sync.c for upgrade transaction prepare and commit
>
>     This patch utilizes the power of sync.c to fix FS#3492 and FS#5798.
>     Now an upgrade transaction is just a sync transaction internally (in alpm),
>     so all sync features are available with -U as well:
>     * conflict resolving
>     * sync dependencies from sync repos
>     * remove unresolvable targets
>

> That's two long standing bugs, to say the least.

I mention one more thing (which is related to this patch):

The next major pacman release _always_ asks for user confirmation with
all -U and -R operations. This behaviour change should be added to
(archlinux.org's?) NEWS, since it can break scripts. Scripts are
advised use --noconfirm switch to skip user interaction (if needed).

Bye