[pacman-dev] [RFC] pactree rewrite in C

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 20:08:28 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> One issue -- I'm not very familiar with autotools. When I build, pactree
> in src/util is "compiled" into a shell script. The real binary seems to
> be left behind src/util/.libs, and this doesn't seem to be the case for
> the other binaries in the directory.

No, this is exactly what is supposed to happen. This is actually
libtool's doing. Otherwise, the binary would use the library from the
system rather than the one built in the same source tree. Try an ldd
on the generated lt-pactree binary after you run the shell script at
least once and you'll see what is going on.

Really, you got lucky and looked at the one binary that is *not* a
shell script (vercmp). cleanupdelta, testdb and testpkg are definitely
shell scripts, along with the pacman executable itself in src/pacman/.

-Dan