[pacman-dev] pyalpm 0.4

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:50:02 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that I tagged version 0.4 of pyalpm.

Pyalpm is a personal project based on initial code by Imanol Celaya to
deliver Python bindings for libalpm. It runs on Python 3.2 (the C
library is probably compatible with Python 3.1) and currently wraps
most of libalpm API from pacman 3.5.

New features since version 0.2 include :
* wrapping of transaction functions (allowing to
install/upgrade/remove packages)
* allowing most libalpm callbacks to be Python functions
* pycman now supports almost all pacman options

Pyalpm also includes a nearly full-featured rewrite of pacman in
python, dubbed "pycman". The goals of "pycman" are multiple:
* be identical in usage with pacman (except for the ugly output and
user non-interaction)
* ensure pyalpm wraps enough functions to be able to develop a package
managing front-end on top of it
* have a quicker overview of source code that replicates pacman's behaviour
* help testing pyalpm with real world usage
* demonstrate code snippets for basic usage of pyalpm
* serve as a basis for quickly hacking a variant of pacman
* provide a Python library that reads and applies settings from pacman.conf

Pyalpm can be found at
  ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/pyalpm/pyalpm-0.4.tar.gz
(when FTP site will be synchronized) and is meant to be compilable on
other platforms than Archlinux, possibly with modifications to
CPPFLAGS.

A PKGBUILD is available on AUR for Archlinux users.

Regards,
Rémy.