[pacman-dev] Discussion about deprecating/removing the changelog feature from pacman.

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:19:01 EDT 2011

I would like to bring up a point which has been annoying me for a while and
I would like to get it out there.

I will argue that the changelog feature is unnecessary in pacman/PKGBUILDs.

1.) It's a feature rarely used by anyone, e.g. there are changelogs which
exist which haven't been updated in years which I encounter and remove right
away.

2.)Svn log usually serves the same purpose, and I can not think of any
benefits changelogs provide over svn log.

3.)I can not think of one package I have encountered that included a useful
changelog.

Some ways to go about removing it are:
declare deprecated -> remove after some time
or just remove changelog support right away
The last option might be viable given its small audience.