[pacman-dev] SyncFirst and dependencies

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:10:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really sure if this actually is a bug or intended behaviour but
> upgrading pacman man my freshly installed system with [testing] enabled
> just broke pacman:
>
> $ pacman
> pacman: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> After some investigation, I figured out that "liblzma.so" is part of
> xz-utils which was renamed to "xz" sometime ago. When doing the first
> full system upgrade, pacman asked me to upgrade itself, first. As
> "SyncFirst" packages seem to be pulled in without dependency resolution,
> I ended up in having pacman 3.5.0, but an old xz-utils, resulting in
> some broken pacman depending on some shared library of a package that
> hasn't been upgraded yet.
>
> Is that intended? Unfortunately, I'm in a rush and I don't have any time
> to analyze this in detail right now...

dep resolution is done, but if the deps are not precise enough, it
does not help.
Another example where sodeps could have been useful :)

As far as I can see, libarchive 2.8.4-2 got a versioned dep on xz >= 5
but pacman only depends on libarchive 2.8.0