[arch-dev-public] will DVD size be the limit for our official repos?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:32:32 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:04:57PM +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> > for x86_64 we now have
> >
> > [andyrtr at server64 ~]$ du -sh /home/andyrtr/mirror/packages/extra/
> > 3,6G    /home/andyrtr/mirror/packages/extra/
> > [andyrtr at server64 ~]$ du -sh /home/andyrtr/mirror/packages/current/
> > 486M    /home/andyrtr/mirror/packages/current/
> >
> > i686 is ~100MB bigger.
> >
> > do we want to limit the amount of both repos to fit on a DVD
> > (singlelayer)? this might become hard as pkg size usually raises each
> > release.
> > maybe we can go over that limit but would have keep out packages (e.g.
> > i18n) from DVD releases.
> >
> > opinions?
>
> Does squashfs get us anything on a DVD?  Can we store way more than a 4.7GB
> of data on one DVD?

I'm sure it gets us quite a bit, at least enough that we don't have to
worry about it at the moment.

As long as I can get an base install up and running from a CD-R and
then use pacman from there, I don't care about this DVD as much as
some do. I just don't want the practicality and cheapness of a CD-R to
be forgotten. (core+support or whatever has been suggested)

-Dan