[arch-dev-public] ion3 in extra: licensing issues

Thu Jun 7 13:27:32 EDT 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Andreas Radke wrote:

> Am Thu, 7 Jun 2007 08:14:10 +0200
> schrieb "Jan de Groot" <jan at jgc.homeip.net>:
>
> > So when you're out for a long while like you did a while ago, we're
> > forced to update your packages, because it's illegal to leave it
> > outdated. Multiple distributions don't ship ion3 due to this or ship
> > the latest version under the old license. I don't think we should
> > handle that different. Though the source is available, ion3 is
> > non-free software, because it takes away the distributors freedom.
>
> +1 for removal
>
> how should x86_64 handle that? codemac might have the ability to handle
> the license issues. we from the port cannot make sure to rebuild it
> quick enough all the time. also think off ppc?
>
> there's much more real open source software waiting to be maintained.
> just put this unfree crap into AUR and maintain it there.
>
> AndyRTR

I was initially for the removal of ion but as codemac seems to be still
interested in maintaining it, I don't see any problem in keeping it in the
repo.

About the x86_64 port, I'm willing to maintain it if ion3 remains in
the repo. It's already updated to the latest version.
All I ask from codemac, is at least a week to do build the port. So ion
should be updated for i686 within the first 2 weeks after the release, of
course, earlier the better.  If maintaining the port would become a
problem, it can always be removed.

Eric

believed to be clean.