[arch-dev-public] Package cleanup - implementation

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat May 12 07:20:17 EDT 2007

2007/5/12, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> >> - I don't know why we would move i18n stuff out of extra. The "default
> >> is english, would take a lot of load away" seems arrogant, at best.
> >
> > That was my gut reaction too.  However, I know nothing about how this
> > pans out, being a native english speaker... still, it might be
> > worthwhile to push some of it to community and allow actual speakers
> > of said language to maintain them, so that we aren't maintaining
> > packages no one uses (like german, we have no german users at all,
> > heh).
>
> Maybe we should make a poll or something on what languages our user
> speak and which localized packages are actually required. Most packages
> provide gettext localizations, but some (kde, koffice, openoffice,
> firefox, thunderbird, ...) need extra packages.

I'd like to have all available localized packages maintained in the same way.
Splitting them by "popularity" is a bad idea IMO.

About community and access rights - I think most (if not all) will
need access there because many of their favourite packages will be
moved there, and while we're moving to shared maintainership
philosophy - it's always better if more people who care about given
package can update it.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)