[arch-dev-public] Getting rid of the ABS <-> CVS link

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:12:27 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 5:59 PM, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > > 1. We already leverage rsync. It will just be some setup on our end.
> > >

> > We should set it up on a different hostname and port.
> > rsync://abs.archlinux.org:874 comes to mind.  This will allow us to run
> > a separate rsync service where we can force compression,etc on or off as
> > we see fit.
>
> I believe we can do so on a per stanza basis, so if we set a target
> for abs, then we can set options inside that stanza.
> It will take a bit of reworking of the existing config file maybe, but
> I don't think it will be overly problematic.
>
> I would like to avoid using alternate ports for this kind of stuff.
> For services that are for public consumption, it is good to use
> standard ports..so that it is more conformant to firewalling, etc.
>
> > > 3. It should migrate well. End users will just get the new abs
> > > package, and sync. There should be no need to nuke and refetch
> > > abs..just update with rsync.
> > >

> > Right.  But do we use --delete in the abs client?
>
> I would think so.
> We would just want to make sure to set a client side exclude option
> for /var/abs/local/
>
> > > 6. Standard from the end user perspective. Lots of similar things use
> > > rsync. I think bsd ports can be rsync fetched, for instance.
> >
> > Good to know.  Can you confirm this?
>
> I can't seem to find a reference for my anecdotal statement. I didn't
> search very hard though. I thought I ran across it at one point, but
> who knows which BSD it was... maybe netbsd... *head scratching*

Poke. Eliott- would you be willing to work on the server side of this?
Obviously this is no rush deal, but I feel like it would be easier to
write a client tool if I knew the layout and specifics of the server
side.

I think we would stick with our current abs layout:
<basedir>
|--core
|--extra
|--community
|--unstable
|--testing
|  |--core
|  |--extra
|  |--unstable
|  |--community (ok, not yet, but in the future)
|--PKGBUILD.proto
|--proto.install
|--local (empty directory)

I don't know if it would need to be laid out like this on the server
(it isn't now, but that is csup), but it would probably be in our best
interest if we limited rsync connections to one per abs fetch.

-Dan