[arch-dev-public] OpenJDK available in testing

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Aug 20 00:17:29 EDT 2008

Am Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:00:28 -0400
schrieb Eduardo Romero <k3nsai at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Wanted to comment, that I just recently started classes at the
> University and some of my classes are online. The online site the univ
> relies on is heavily dependant on java. I logged in today and it
> worked but most of the site was useless, until I changed back to jre
> from repo. So i guess this openjdk6 package should not move to extra
> anytime soon until it is mature enough. Or maybe we can have both
> jre/jdk and oepnjdk6 in repo. I'm not sure if you guys already
> decided anything on it, but just writting to inform you of my
> experiences.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eduardo "kensai" Romero

Hm. OpenJDK passes 99,9% java compatibility tests. I haven't had any
problems so far. I have found pages not possible to watch with SUN's
jre but working with OpenJDK.

It might help to have only one java runtime pkg installed and you
should source /etc/profile.d/openjdk6.sh or even relogin. What browser
are you running and what website failed?

-Andy