[arch-dev-public] Module blacklisting

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:05:24 EST 2008

Ok, guys - honest question. Because udev is being a big pain in the
ass with the way we do module blacklisting, we might want to
reevaluate it.

Right now we support blacklisting of modules in rc.conf, in addition
to a kernel param disablemodules=x,y,z

Udev autoloading is controlled by MOD_AUTOLOAD and the load_modules
kernel param.

We *can* use modprobe based blacklisting here, but we lose the above
items. blacklisting will be controlled only by /etc/modprobe.conf (and
modprobe.d/*) and we lose the ability to shut it off via rc.conf.

What do we gain? Speed and simplicity. No extraneous scripts to handle
this stuff, and all that jazz.

This is how fast this script was when I originally wrote it:
http://img.phraktured.net/other/udev_modules_boot.png
Now it apparently takes 3 times as long due to all the added blacklisting cruft

What do we lose? Robustness.
See below for an explanation of the blacklist changes