[arch-dev-public] gcc 4.3 and archlinux

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sun Mar 9 15:41:40 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've prepared gcc 4.3.0 for the x86_64 platform in testing:
- kernel-headers updated to 2.6.24.3
- glibc patched with some upstream CVS patches borrowed from gentoo
- binutils rebuilt with gcc 4.3 and glibc 2.7-8
- gcc-libs updated to 4.3.0
- gcc updated to 4.3.0 and patched to support gcj without
installing/building it (gcc should be able to build java files when gcj
is installed now)
- removed gcc-fortran provides from gcc-libs, as we had a sobump
- changed gcc-gcj to upstream tarballs instead of Ubuntu branch
- rebuilt gjdoc which is a native java program
- updated java-gcj-compat
- rebuilt all fortran applications against new gcc-libs and changed
dependencies

In the meanwhile, I found out one big change: gcc 4.3 doesn't include C
functions anymore when including c++ includes. This breaks a horrible
amount of packages, but fixing is easy:
Whenever there's a missing function, look it up in its manpage:

strcpy: man 3 strcpy, look for include, which will be <string.h> in this
case. As we're using C++ now and want a C include, this will become
#include <cstring> without the .h and a c prepended.

As gcc 4.3 should be backwards compatible with 4.2 (except for libgcj
and libgfortran sonames), I don't think there's much trouble moving
these packages to core and extra. I'd like to have these merged after
Tobias has finished our ISOs (and we have enough signoffs), as I don't
want to make big changes right before a release.