[arch-dev-public] GPL Compliance: A beginning

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Fri May 23 13:16:27 EDT 2008

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Freitag, 23. Mai 2008 18:22:34 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> Our non-GPL licensed packages are
>> fairly small compared to the GPL ones
>
> I just did some queries against the db:
>
> packages under GPL:
> 	count		5789
> 	sum(isize)	33.88 GB
> 	sum(csize)	14.23 GB
>
> packages with other licenses
> 	count		1873
> 	sum(isize)	9.82 GB
> 	sum(csize)	4.14 GB
>
> packages without licenses
> 	count		1578
> 	sum(isize)	4.86 GB
> 	sum(csize)	1.80 GB
>
> Those data include both arches and all repos (core, extra, testing, unstable,
> community)
>
> The sum of csize might be a hint about how much space the src-packages might
> need.

Remember that GPL3 has new language, which appears at least at first
glance to allow you to provide a link to a third party hosting the
source. Our PKGBUILDs constitute quite "clear directions" as to
where to find the sourc. So I think you only have to mirror for GPL2
  holdouts.

 From section 6d of GPLv3:

Convey the object code by offering access from a designated place
(gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the
Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no
further charge. You need not require recipients to copy the
Corresponding Source along with the object code. If the place to
copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source
may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party) that
supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain clear
directions next to the object code saying where to find the
Corresponding Source. Regardless of what server hosts the
Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is
available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.

Regardless, mirroring source for all packages seems good. It's easy,
and I don't see a reason not to do it. I just wanted to point out
that it seems GPL3+ has a less stringent source hosting obligation
which it seems clear we already meet.

- P