[arch-dev-public] licenses

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat May 31 09:01:53 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com> wrote:
> I've started a pet project.. going through and adding licenses for packages
> without them. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep at it, but I'll just
> keep going as long as I can stand it.
>
> I encourage you all to add licenses for packages you maintain, if you can,
> while you're in there updating them. There's MANY packages without them
> (over 1000). I got through finding licenses for 64 packages in a couple of
> hours; they're not always easy to track down. It's much easier when you
> already have the source downloaded and can just look for a COPYING or
> LICENSE file. Cheat sheet for what we call the various GPL variants in the
> license=() array:
>
>    * (L)GPL - (L)GPLv2 or any later version
>    * (L)GPL2 - (L)GPL2 only
>    * (L)GPL3 - (L)GPL3 or any later version
>
> I just added the license line to the trunk PKGBUILD.. nothing more. So you
> should get these on your next rebuild.
>
> Just an attempt to contribute some grunt work to the cause.

Thanks Paul! This is good work and definitely appreciated. Once Aaron
gets the emails running from the check_* scripts on gerolde that would
point things out like this, it would be good to see a decrease in
these numbers.

We at least made a push a while back to get licenses for everything
package in core, correct?

-Dan