[arch-dev-public] Plan for python upgrade

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 6 21:04:47 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm going with Aaron's suggestion.  Don't worry about python 3.0 until
>> more things support it.  Or create a temporary python3 repo to support
>> software in there (and call the package python3) for people who really
>> want it.  Then the python/python2 split will be gentler.
>>

> Yeah, instead of using 'extrapkg', just use 'archrelease python3-i686'
> or something, and manually scp the packages to gerolde (or maybe patch
> devtools to do this for you). Then, on gerolde, you can do
> "/arch/db-update i686 python3", though that'd require someone with
> superpowers manually making a top-level dir.
>
> I think this route would be best - just tell users how to get the
> python3 repo, and bam. All the tools are made to do exactly this, and
> considering the python3 upgrade path will take weeks, not days, it
> makes perfect sense to use a side repo for this until we're at a level
> of support where we want to move it into testing/extra.

Sounds a good plan.  What I am going to do now is:

1) Transition to python-2.6.  I have tried most packages that need
rebuilt already and it seems to be a fairly easy transition.  Will do
this as soon as gnome and boost rebuilds are out of [testing].

2) Add a python3 package to [community] so people will not complain
about it not being in the repos but building against it will be
discouraged (as deps in the [extra] repo will still be built against
python2).

3) As devs find their packages can be built with python3, they should
add them to this wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List
(python3 section at the bottom)

4) When enough (to be defined...) packages are in that list, create a
[python] repo for the transition of python to python-3.x and make a
python2 package.

Allan