[arch-dev-public] request for dbus in core

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 14:00:45 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 22:49 -0700, James Rayner wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
>> > A while ago I got a request from Thomas to make a stripped down dbus
>> > package that does not depend on libx11 so he could use it for
>> > wpa_supplicant which is also in core.
>> > As more and more services start to interact with this dbus thing, I'd
>> > like to move the new dbus-core package into core. This pulls in one
>> > extra dependency from extra, which is expat at this moment.
>> >
>> > The new dbus package contains only the x11 parts of dbus and stays in
>> > extra.
>>
>> my support for [core], as an upcoming netcfg version will take
>> advantage of the wpa_supplicant dbus interface.
>>
>> Though, why did you split it rather than just using optdepends. Only
>> one very minor utility needed libx11 and you'd only be using it if you
>> had X installed.
>
> What's the policy on cross-repository dependencies these days? Is it
> normal to have core packages makedepending on packages from extra or
> community?

Hmmm maybe we can/should flesh that out. If it's a
makedepend/optdepend, I don't see a direct problem with it. It feels a
little funny, but other than that, I don't see anything technically
wrong with it.

Besides that, I'd support dbus in core. Split or not, it should be ok.
And expat in core seems slightly logical too