[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] Wireless userspace tools

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 17 19:30:53 EDT 2008

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> Very interesting, in case you guys don't read arch-general:

I already responded on arch-general. I already created an iw package and
I was able to compile crda (no PKGBUILD yet). iw is only useful for
setting up "the new stuff" (like mesh mode), but cfg80211 is still
unable to do the basic settings like ssid, so iwconfig will remain the
main configuration tool for a while.

Anyway, I'd like to add iw to extra as some people may find it useful.

I'd also like to add crda to extra, so people with compat-wireless can
try using the new regulatory management (2.6.27 is required for such
recent compat-wirless releases). Once 2.6.28 is released, we can move
crda to core and disable the old static regdom code in the kernel (crda
will then be necessary for using wireless).

If you have any objections to adding iw and crda to extra, you may speak
now or forever hold your peace.