[arch-dev-public] WTF? i686 support?

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Wed Apr 1 09:34:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 05:20:37 schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> I specifically told you guys that we were NOT dropping the i686 port,
>> and you guys went and voted on it without me? This is the last straw.
>> If you guys don't fix this now, consider this my last email.
>
> This is just typical for Americans. They tend to be so proud of being one of
> the oldest democracies but when the result of a vote does not match their
> interest they start whining like a little child.

*sigh* politics! You're right though, it doesnt matter how many cars
phrak throws, the decision stands.

> Anyway: We should decide on the schedule asap. People are already confused. So
> here is my proposal:
>
> * We should maintain the core repo for i686 till the end of the year. It's not
> that much work and it would give the people enough time to migrate.
> * The [extra] update should be maintained until July; KDE 4.3 will be released
> then and be the first x86_64 exclusive set of packages.
> * The [community]-i686 repo should be removed between now and July; but this
> has to be decided by the TUs.

What difference does a few months make? Might as well save us the
trouble and ditch it by the end of this month seeing as everyone knows
now.

> Till then we should concentrate on giving every dev access to x86_64 machines;
> see Dusty's thread.

I've setup SSH on my box if anyone needs one in the meantime. What's
the status on pacbuild?

James