[arch-dev-public] introducing kernel26-lts

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Aug 26 18:02:28 EDT 2009

Am Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:00:11 +0200
schrieb Firmicus <Firmicus at gmx.net>:

> Dale Blount a écrit :
> >> I don't think that it needs to go in core to get signoffs.  We
> >> could put it in extra and make an exception (i.e. require
> >> signoff).  The only advantage of putting it in core is to offer it
> >> as an alternative kernel for the iso.
> >>

> > Is there a disadvantage to putting it in core?  I'd say if I was
> > going to install the lts kernel on a server, It'd be annoying to
> > have to install using kernel26 then install lts from extra later.
> > Having it available on the install CD would be useful.  Not to
> > mention core explicitly requires signoffs which solves that problem
> > also.
> >
> > Dale
> >

> +1 from me for putting it in core

I can boot my ext4 / filesystem with a clean dmesg :)

I don't care if I will maintain it in core or extra with additional
signoff. Maybe our ISO makers should say if they have enough space for
this kernel for both arches in core or if they would like to put it
manually as bonus to the disc and how the selection will work
(remember the scsi/ide years?).

To me core would be the more logical place stating it's of the same
quality and importance.

-Andy