[arch-dev-public] Scripting large rebuilds

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 23 18:20:47 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well....  it doesn't dirty the chroot exactly, but you do end up with
>>> everything you built being installed so could get unwanted deps further down
>>> the rebuild list unless you are careful.  I have been meaning to adjust that
>>> to put the package in a local repo in the chroot so rebuilt packages could
>>> be installed as necessary (much like in the chroot building wiki page) but
>>> have not had time.
>>>
>> Added a new section to the wiki - these changes are in git right now,
>> not in the current devtools release:
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Building_in_a_Clean_Chroot#Alternate_Rebuild_Handling
>>

> The -u and -I flag are in git. -i exists now, but I wanted makepkg -i
> to be usable, so I renamed that one

It took me a while to figure out why you said the old method dirtied the
chroot.  IThe way I thought about this is that the packages I rebuilt
and updated in the chroot are soon going to be the official Arch ones so
it will self clean eventually.  Anyway, making the chroot is so easy
that I just make a new one to deal with major rebuilds.

Allan