[arch-dev-public] Move the catalyst drivers from extra to AUR/Community

Eduardo Romero k3nsai at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:17:02 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 11:01 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> Hmm. My thinkpad has an ATI card in it, and I stopped using the
> catalyst drivers a LONG time ago (a year? I know Travis was still
> packaging them when I stopped).
>
> So, I guess my actual usage follows this pattern, so maybe it's the
> right way to go.
>
> Still, I wonder if this is going to anger a lot of people. Probably,
> but if they're using catalyst right now they're probably angry at it
> already :)
>
> I'm all for removing shitty packages, but I fear that moving it to
> community would be simply moving the shit around instead of dealing
> with it. Perhaps, at this juncture, it would make more sense in the
> AUR (we'd have to kindly ask the TUs not to package it though).
My reason for it to go to community is so a TU can dedicate attention to
it, Andreas does not want to waste time on fixing this drivers as they
are of no particular interest to him. Maybe a TU in community can apply
patches to make the x86_64 9.2 release to work. But well, I'm fine with
moving them to AUR, there are some distributions that do not provide
catalyst at all in any form, comes to mind paldo GNU/Linux.