[arch-dev-public] LZMA - in or out? ([signoff] libarchive 2.6.0)

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jan 12 17:22:09 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 15:15 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Where did this go?
>
> Do we have any additional opinions regarding LZMA? Personally, I think
> LZMA is great, and the new licensing (LGPL?) opens a lot of doors.
> Personally, I can't wait to see squashfs-lzma to pick up speed.
>
> I agree with Dan though - libarchive isn't just a dep of pacman. We
> also ship bsdtar, which I use quite often.

I think having an LZMA-enabled version of libarchive/bsdtar would fix
this bug also:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12712

At this moment, rpmextract can't extract RPM files that use LZMA
compression.
To solve the above bug partially, I'm thinking about rewriting
file-roller to use bsdtar for extracting compressed cpio files. Without
LZMA support in bsdtar, this will still fail for SuSE's RPM files
though.