[arch-dev-public] dropping Gnash?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Mar 30 04:12:24 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 04:06 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> I've started to work on an gnash upgrade. But  keep the gnash PKGBUILD
> in unsupported until the update is actually done. (ie I might change
> my mind).
>
> BTW, I'll probably use agg for the renderer instead of opengl for
> performance reason: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13443.  This was
> done in the PKGBUILD in AUR. I might also change the media from
> gstreamer to ffmpeg.  I've read somewhere that ffmpeg was better on
> Youtube. Currently, gnash 0.8.4 or 0.8.5 doesn't work on Youtube as
> far as I could tell.

At this moment we have updates for ffmpeg and friends sitting in
testing. If you consider switching to plain ffmpeg instead of GStreamer,
I would like to have ffmpeg updated to the normal release, which is
"stable". When we get this version, I could even compile
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg against the system-installed ffmpeg, as GStreamer
has switched to the stable version also now.
The reason why gnash uses GStreamer instead of plain ffmpeg is because
GStreamer has a backwards compatible interface, which ffmpeg didn't
offer before it was released officially.