[arch-dev-public] Get notified on website updates

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri May 15 12:13:09 EDT 2009

Hello,

maybe you are familar with the following problem:

You want to get notified when there is a new upstream release. The problem is
that not all projects offer rss feeds or an announce mailing list. And if they
do they are sometimes too verbose or don't cover the updates you like.

So needed something to watch a certain website and tell me if anything
changed. There are a lot of webservices, firefox plugins etc..; but they are
all too complicated and just don't offer what I need.

So I though it would be quite easy to write something myself using cron and
lynx. So I after a few minutes I had a simple Bash script whih just does the
job.

It loops through an url list and prints the diff to the previous run. Running
this by cron I get an email including the diff everytime one of the observed
websites are updated.

Maybe someone else has some use for it, too. And perhaps I'll even create a
git repo for it; though I don't think I should add much more "features". ;-)

http://users.archlinux.de/~pierre/packages/src/w3watch/

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76