[arch-dev-public] Xen domU kernel - what to do?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:40:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> Okay, it is obvious that we need a kernel which can run on Xen domU for our
>>> servers. It would also be very convenient for those running Arch on hosting
>>> services that have pv-grub available.
>>>
>>> Until now, I compiled a modified version of the kernel26 package with
>>> pv_ops/Xern enabled which - in theory - should also run on a real machine.
>>>
>>> If all the external modules compile properly (which they probably do), we
>>> could add these options to our normal stock kernel. I haven't tried running
>>> it on a real machine though and tpowa said in the past the nvidia module
>>> failed. This has to be tested.
>>>
>>> However, compiling Xen on a 32 bit kernel requires enabling PAE which we
>>> refused to do in the past for performance reasons (no idea if these are
>>> valid concerns) and due to the fact that we want to encourage people to run
>>> 64 bit if they have large amounts of memory.
>>>
>>> Assuming all of untested things above work, what would you prefer:
>>>
>>> 1) Switch to PAE on the 32 bit kernel, ship Xen domU support with kernel26
>>> on both architectures.
>>>
>>> 2) Ship Xen domU support on the 64 bit kernel, and don't on the 32 bit
>>> kernel (my favorite so far).
>>>
>>> 3) Leave kernel26 unchanged and create a separate kernel26-xen package with
>>> domU support.
>>>
>>> The advantage of 3) is that the Xen kernel could be very slim, as almost all
>>> hardware drivers could be disabled. The advantage of 1) and 2) is the lower
>>> maintenance cost.
>>>

>>> On a different note, I'd like to try to switch over to pv-grub on our
>>> servers. Right now, upgrading the kernel requires copying the kernel to the
>>> dom0 manually, thus dom0 access is required to do a (potentially security
>>> relevant) kernel update. With pv-grub, upgrading the kernel and rebooting
>>> would be handled just like with a normal machine, as the dom0 only loads the
>>> pv-grub image which then runs inside the domU and can load the right kernel
>>> from there.
>>> The pv-grub is only available from Xen 3.3 and later, but we have Xen 3.2 -
>>> I compiled pv-grub from 3.4 though and guess it should work with the older
>>> hypervisor as well, but I haven't tested that yet.
>>>
>>> Anyway, please post your opinion on the issues above.
>>
>> I'm -1 on the PAE, leaving options 2 and 3 as viable. 2 is the easiest
>> for maintenance; 3 sounds like the best solution long term as it would
>> be a very lightweight and well-suited kernel package.
>>
>> If not for the maintenance issues, 3 seems by far the best. Is there
>> anyway we can automate the creation of this package to the point where
>> it doesn't take much extra effort? e.g. try to share resources with
>> the primary kernel package.
>
> Can you illustrate why you're -1 on PAE? I can't find exact info on
> the performance hit caused by enabling that, and with machines having
> [...]

Completely disagree, PAE is stupid. If you want to stick with 32 bit
and have more memory available, at least run a 64 bit kernel and stick
with a 32 bit userspace:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0906.1/01128.html
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0906.1/01131.html

And those numbers for performance problems? 12%:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0906.1/00959.html

Leaving i686 in the dust is hardly the concern here; why add
unnecessary overhead to those machines that sit well under the 4GB
mark that need that extra 12% of performance the most?

-Dan