[arch-dev-public] Samba package sizes

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 26 21:07:01 EST 2010

Am 27.02.2010 02:42, schrieb Giovanni Scafora:
> 2010/2/27, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
>> I forgot to mention that stripping doesn't help much although I did
>>  notice this in the initial investigation. Copying the above listed
>>  binaries to a tmp directory and stripping them only reduced the size
>>  from 44 MB total to 40 MB total.
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I upgraded samba package only, but I didn't modify anything...
> I built it in chroot, using the default makepkg.conf
> OPTIONS=(strip docs libtool emptydirs zipman purge)
> What am I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong. The binaries are listed as "ELF 64-bit LSB
shared object" instead of "ELF 64-bit LSB executable". I have seen
executables like this before, but I don't know why. Anyway - makepkg
will not use "strip" but "strip --strip-debug" on shared libraries,
because stripping everything from them will break dynamic linking.

All of this does not explain the incredibly huge samba binaries.