[arch-dev-public] syslinux 5.00 in [testing]

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Dec 8 13:19:55 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 01:00:55PM -0500, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 02:10:54PM +0100, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 December 2012 14:07:16 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> > > The syslinux modules like the menu are no longer working. Other more
> > > essential features like serial console might be broken as well. So it
> > > might be better to pull that pacakge if we cannot fix this asap. The
> > > install scripts needs to be adjusted as well; or better drop it
> > > entirely.
> >
> > I couldn't boot my system neither. I removed the package from [testing] until
> > we fix it properly.
> >
> > --
> > Andrea
> > Arch Linux Developer
>
> Playing with this in a VM -- I'm able to boot, but yes, there's massive
> module borkage. This is probably going to suck from a distro level, as,
> at a minimum, we need to recopy over the *.c32 modules in use, as well
> as locate dependencies. Boo.
>
> The root of the problem with modules is things like this:
>
> $ readelf -d /lib/syslinux/menu.c32 | grep NEEDED
>  0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [../../com32/libutil/libutil_com.c32]
>
> I'm doubtful that this is intended. On a system without a separate
> /boot, this means /com32 would need to exist as a toplevel dir. HPA
> mentions the PATH directive for the location of the lib*.c32 files, but
> that seems to have no effect here.
>
> I'll keep playing with this, under the initial suspicion that perhaps
> our build is baroque.

Okay I take it back -- the funky paths aren't relevant, and this works
just fine if I load my qemu VM using the SDL interface (rather than
serial). Need to figure out why the serial console isn't working
properly, but this isn't so bad after all.

summary: update all your .c32 files and make sure to also copy
libutil_com.c32 and libmenu.c32 to /boot/syslinux/ (assuming you use the
one of the menu c32 files).