[arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCE] initscripts-2012.07.3

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jul 20 19:52:53 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I have pushed initscripts-2012.07.3 to testing.

Summary of changes:

* Add support for systemd's crypttab syntax
* Deprecate our old crypttab syntax, but keep supporting it
* All variables in rc.conf can now be left unset and will default to
something sensible
* Deprecate all non-initscripts-specific settings from rc.conf, and
remove them from the standard rc.conf. The standard rc.conf can now be
used unchanged on a simple system (earlier this would give network
errors).
* Rework the rc.conf manpage, adding examples and suggestions for
replacement for the deprecated settings
* No longer hard-code Arch-specific welcome message (this is mostly so
our various derivatives so they can use /etc/os-release rather than
patching rc.sysinit)
* Drop /etc/conf.d/wireless. It has been deprecated for a long time,
so no longer ship the file
* Several bugfixes

I'll leave it in testing for some time to make sure that the crypttab
changes went smoothly.

I'll make sure to only push this to core after the next systemd is in
core (it is not yet in testing, but has been released upstream), as
that will add the keyfile-offset= option to crypttab.

If you agree, I'll post a news item about the change to the
recommended config options in both crypttab and rc.conf.

Cheers,

Tom