[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [draft] news item for libudev rebuild

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jun 1 08:55:51 EDT 2012

Looks good, but someone requested it to be simplified. So how about in
the style of simple.wikipedia.org:

----8< ----

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> systemd-tools Replaces Udev

"udev" not "Udev"

> The release of systemd 183 signifies the first release wherein systemd
> and udev share the same upstream code repository. In order to ease
> maintenance on the Arch Linux side, we've created a package called
> systemd-tools which includes several of systemd's standalone tools,
> including the entirety of the udev package. The astute reader will note
> that this also means the entirety of systemd is available in the core
> repository.

systemd and udev have been merged upstream. We will still ship them in
separate packages. Howeer, in order to make things easier for
ourselves udev will now be part of a package called systemd-tools.
This package also contains other stand-alone tools that can be used
without systemd itself.

> Upon upgrade, you will be prompted to replace udev with systemd-tools. If an
> upgrade of the linux package occurs at the same time, you may see an error
> during initramfs creation that the udev hook was not found. After the upgrade
> has completed, please rerun 'mkinitcpio -p linux' to ensure that a bootable
> image is created for the newly installed kernel.

Please replace udev with systemd-tools when asked.

If you upgrade the linux package at the same time you will likely get
an error message when the initramfs is generated. If so, you need to
rerun 'mkinitcpio -p linux' to make sure that a bootable initramfs is
created for the new kernel.

Or something like that.

-t