[arch-dev-public] adding rng-tools to extra?

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 3 20:22:50 EDT 2012

[2012-06-03 20:48:21 +0200] Tobias Powalowski:
> with enabling pacman signing, shouldn't we add the rng-tools to extra to
> be able to use it on install media too?

For interactive installers, it seems to me like a better solution to
simply ask the user to provide true entropy through typing random stuff
on their keyboards - shouldn't take more than twenty seconds or so.

For virtual machines, I use the stupid code attached to transfer entropy
from the host to the guest.

I don't know rng-tools but if it better answers either problem it would
indeed be nice to have it in [extra].

> Or is there any way to generate
> entropy without it and without user interaction?

Linux gathers entropy from IDE timings, so any kind of disk activity
will refill the pool over time.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan