[arch-dev-public] [RFC] merge /bin, /sbin, /lib into /usr/bin and /usr/lib

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Mar 3 04:49:43 EST 2012

Am 03.03.2012 04:21, schrieb Allan McRae:
> What convinced me of putting all this in /usr rather than on / is that I
> can have a separate /usr partition that is mounted read only (unless I
> want to do an update).  If everything from /usr gets moved to the root
> (a.k.a hurd style) this would require many partitions.  (There is
> apparently also benefits in allowing /usr to be shared across multiple
> systems, but I do not care about such a setup and I am really not sure
> this would work at all with Arch.)

I agree that the /usr subtree we have atm and also the distinction of
bin and sbin is not really useful and confuses more than it helps.
Especially the sbin one doesn't make any sense. So it's nice to cleanup
our filesystem and merge things together. While I don't think a
read-only /usr is of any use or even advisable I see that having
everything in /usr is more flexible; so I am fine with that.

So in short: +1 from me.

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com