[arch-dev-public] Switching to systemd by default in new installations

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sun Oct 7 13:29:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 06:49:46PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Tom and I discussed this on IRC, so I'll just throw it in here.
>
> I'd like to make the following changes to our packages:
>
> * Remove initscripts and sysvinit from the base group.
> * Add systemd-sysvcompat to the base group.

I'd really like to get rid of the /bin/systemd symlink if we're going to
do this. I suppose it can just be part of the news item we post.

> * Move initscripts to [extra].
>
> This effectively uses systemd by default on all new installations.
>
> As not all packages are equipped with systemd units yet, a compatibility
> layer exists: You can install the initscripts package, which does not
> depend on sysvinit any longer (and thus doesn't conflict with
> systemd-syscompat). A new initscripts installation will come with an
> empty DAEMONS array by default. Once you add rc.d scripts to DAEMONS,
> systemd will generate compatibility units for those services, or enable
> the systemd unit if a unit with the same name exists.

This "compatability" layer is still a mess with packages shipping rc.d
files which don't match up with the unit file name. I proposed a
solution for this in initscripts that involved keeping a static list of
exceptions in arch-daemons rather than peppering packages with symlinks
full of lies, and it appears that nothing has been done yet. This
_must_ to be fixed first.