[arch-dev-public] [RFC] The path to lua 5.2

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 14 07:20:02 EDT 2012

Le 2012-09-13 16:19, Sébastien Luttringer a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Version 5.2 of lua is out since December 2011 [1] and last update
> since June 2012.
>
> I suggest[2] to update our current lua package to 5.2.1 and introduce
> a new package lua51.
> As we need to rebuild and update dependencies of some packages, we can
> benefits to adopt a clean naming (like for python) for lua libraries
> like
> - lua-lfs for lua 5.2 version, where "lfs" is the name in the lua require.
> - lua51-lfs for 5.1 version.
> for current package lua-filesystem.
>
> Example:
> pkgbase=luafilsystem
> pkgname=(lua-lfs lua-lfs51)
>
> The goal is to drop lua51* package once all package will only needs lua 5.2.
>
> I currently have a lua (v5.2.1) and lua51 (v5.1.5) packages on my
> computer which works correctly.
>
> The following packages are out of my hands:
> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in extra testing; do sogrep $i lua.so; done
> celestia
> gnuplot
> graphviz
> gvim
> lighttpd
> nmap
> pdns-recursor
> rrdtool
> vlc
> weechat
> wireshark-cli
>
> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in community community-testing ; do sogrep $i
> lua.so; done
> awesome
> btanks
> cegui
> edje-svn
> electricsheep
> elinks
> fillets-ng
> geany-plugins
> grafx2
> hedgewars
> highlight
> highlight-gui
> libquvi
> luabind
> lua-zlib
> megaglest
> notion
> stone-soup
> task
> widelands
> xmoto
> widelands
>
> As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
> myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.
>
> Comments? Objections?
>
> [1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
> [2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
> me if you see something bad.

Before looking at the package names, I would like  to see the list of
packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in
this list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still
active and if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply
drop them or rebuild them without lua support when possible.

Stéphane