[arch-dev-public] The next LTS

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 5 15:58:43 EDT 2013

Am Mon, 5 Aug 2013 21:16:26 +0200
schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com>:

> Would it be a good idea to switch to 3.2 now until October? Linux 3.2
> is used by Debian 7 and is definitely widely tested by a lot of
> people.
>
> Rémy.

Not worth for the few months. We could have done that for over a year
and also a switch to 3.4 was possible. We stayed with 3.0 for good
reason.

The plan will be to switch to 3.10 in testing when 3.11 will be out for
the stock kernel. We can delay this until the last 3.0 release or be
pretty quick when 3.11 is just released.

I notice 3.0 to be slow in boot and shutdown with systemd even with a
slow hdd as boot drive, much more with a ssd. I suggest to put 3.10 LTS
as early as possible into testing maybe parallel to 3.10 stock kernel
in a few weeks. I'd be happy to test it.

-Andy