[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Finally dropping initscripts and rc scripts

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 05:53:27 EST 2013

On 1 February 2013 23:18, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Several devs have been asking me to officially drop initscripts, so I
> thought I'd bring it here.
>
> As per our announcement [0], the rc scripts have been unsupported for
> one month now, and we have slowly started removing them (which means
> stuff will have started breaking for people still using sysvinit).
>
> Despite several people showing interest in taking over the rc scripts
> and initscripts and keeping it going, nothing has come of it in terms
> of packages or announcements, so it appears to me that the necessary
> manpower/motivation is not there (as I mentioned before [1], a
> replacement should really have been in place before the end of
> December to provide continuity).
>
> To make our communication with our users clear I suggest we drop
> initscripts from our repositories, (re)announce that sysvinit is now
> unsupported and start dropping the rc scripts from the individual
> packages whenever they are rebuilt.
>
> This is unfortunate for users stuck on very old kernels. However, I
> don't think it is responsible to give the impression that we are
> supporting an init system that is not getting any kind of testing, and
> with no one to take care of it going forward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>
> [0]: <https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-initscripts-support/>
> [1]: <https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-January/024347.html>

Hello,
I know I promised that I will keep the initscripts working. I expected
that I will have enough free time to maintain them, but so far I
didn't have enough free time. I'm really sorry for not keeping my
promise. I feel very bad about that. And unfortunately I have to use
laptop with systemd, because I don't have access to my main
development machine (that uses initscripts), too.

I made a package [1] which contains all the initscripts from packages
maintained by seblu some time ago. This package does most of the work
automatically (it installs all .rc files to rc.d and all .conf files
to conf.d). I wanted to release the package whenever a package is
updated with dropped initscript. I'll move this package to AUR, where
anyone can pick it up and maintain it. Maybe I'll restart my efforts
when I get a regular access to my development machine.

I'm sorry for that,
Lukas

[1] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/sysvinit-scripts/trunk