[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Add Wayland/Weston

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 7 20:05:16 EST 2013

[2013-02-08 01:23:30 +0100] Sébastien Luttringer:
> Wayland is now in version 1.0.4[1]. I plan to move it to community to
> offer a first support of the wayland protocol into Archlinux.
> This will allow toolkit[2][3] packages to smoothly enable wayland
> support when maintainers wants and let users try this
> next-to-systemd-troll[4].
>
> After Wayland I would add the demo compositor Weston to our community
> repositories. To do this we needs to:
> - enable wayland support into mesa ;
> - enable wayland support into cairo.

I am all for us supporting new technologies when this can be done
alongside traditional ones. I trust your judgment that Wayland is ready
and see no reason to object its inclusion (so long as you do not propose
replacing X with Wayland yet). But that's only my non-expert opinion.

Just one thing:

> [4] I'm already existed by arch-general be closed again

I cannot make sense of that sentence...

--
Gaetan