[arch-dev-public] Mesa 9.1 in testing

Jan Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 05:02:51 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also had a plus of around 180 MiB (including lib32-mesa) on a standard
> desktop running X11, 3D, games and the like, so this does not only
> concern non-X11 systems.

The mesa package seems to contain at least 7 (!) copies of LLVM, in
egl_gallium.so, pipe_swrast.so, gbm_gallium_drm.so,
libllvmradeon9.1.0.so, libxatracker.so.1.0.0,
libvdpau_softpipe.so.1.0.0 and swrast_dri.so.

This blows up the package size something fierce. Hopefully, it will
get better with llvm 3.3, when we can link against shared LLVM libs.

In the meantime, can libllvmradeon9.1.0.so be moved to the ati driver package?

As a side note, lrzip manages to get the mesa package size down to
16MB (from 32MB with xz.)