[arch-dev-public] [RFC] New virtual provide (ttf-font) for TrueType fonts

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Fri Jan 11 18:14:38 EST 2013

On 12/01/13 00:50, Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 12/01/13 08:16, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>> At least three bugs on our bug tracker can be solved by making relevant
>>> truetype font packages provide 'ttf-font':
>>>
>>> FS#33367: [chromium] should not depends on ttf-dejavu [1]
>>> FS#26012: [kdebase-workspace] Missing dependency on a ttf- package [2]
>>> FS#32870: [enlightenment17] needs dependency on a ttf font [3]
>>>
>>> Based on the Gentoo ttf-fonts package [4], I am proposing to add
>>> provides=('ttf-font') to the following font packages:
>>>
>>> ttf-dejavu
>>> ttf-bitstream-vera
>>> ttf-liberation
>>> ttf-droid
>>> ttf-freefont
>>>
>>> Any yays or nays? (Or maybe suggestions for slightly different naming?)
>>>
>>> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33367
>>> [2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26012
>>> [3] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32870
>>> [4]
>>> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/virtual/ttf-fonts/ttf-fonts-1.ebuild
>>>

>> Makes sense to me.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> On another note, the Chrome OS core fonts (Arimo, Cousine and Timos)
> are extended versions of the Liberation fonts (like DejaVu is an
> extended Bitstream Vera). Maybe we should package these as well and
> add them to 29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf? They are available here:
> http://gsdview.appspot.com/chromeos-localmirror/distfiles/

Doesn't sound like a bad idea but you'd want to discuss this with the
fontconfig maintainers. Looking at FS#25499 [1], it seems to me like
29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf needs additional tweaking as well.

Please, however, let's not deviate from the ttf-font discussion by
bringing up other topics in this thread.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25499