[arch-dev-public] Clarity about initscripts and systemd status

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Wed Jan 23 14:15:52 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2012 16:03, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>> Am 07.11.2012 08:59, schrieb Lukas Jirkovsky:
>>> It would be great if maintainers who are going to drop the rc scripts
>>> from their package would notify me, so I can keep then in a rc-scripts
>>> package as discussed previously (similar to what was done with
>>> systemd)
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>
>> Thomas suggested to have a git repo which would contain all those
>> scripts. Everytime a TU or DEV removes a rc script he can commit it
>> there.

Hello,

I've cleaned all packages where I maintain rc scripts. Lukas J. has
moved the legacy to a community[1] package[2].

Unless we decide otherwise rc scripts will be dropped when package
will be updated / rebuilded.
Users who has still not moved to systemd will probably suffer of this.
So we can imagine solution to have a smoother transition.
By example, patch initscripts to look at 2 places (etc/rc.d and
usr/lib/initscripts) allowing a package providing all rc.d to avoid
conflict with legacy packages.

Cheers,

[1] Is community package a good strategy for legagy initscripts? (an
AUR package or a git in project.al.org would be better)
[2] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/sysvinit-scripts/trunk

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net