[arch-dev-public] filesystem package

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jan 26 20:38:22 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Anyway, I say we can just remove post_install from filesystem and reduce
> the dependencies to only iana-etc

Yes please. This has long been on my low-priority TODO.

> , and then make glibc depend on
> filesystem. We can assume coreutils and bash are installed before an
> upgrade of filesystem.

Yup. For post_upgrade we can depend on 'base' being installed.

> Lets see what is in filesystem's post_install:
>
> post_install() {
>         [ -f var/log/lastlog ] ||   : >var/log/lastlog

Either just remove (not sure why it is needed, didn't check), or move
to shadow as you propose.

>         [ -f var/log/wtmp ]    ||   : >var/log/wtmp
>         [ -f var/log/btmp ]    || { : >var/log/btmp && chmod 600 var/log/btmp; }

Not needed. Done by /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf

>         # workaround for bug #7194
>         # readded due to bug #9465
>         # please do not remove!
>         chmod 1777 var/spool/mail tmp var/tmp
> }
>

> The chmod part can be removed (despite the warning).  It was initially a
> bug in pacman and then the installer.  Given pacman has been fixed for
> years and we just use "pacman -r" for the installer, there is no need
> for that.  This is entirely the wrong place to fix this non-existent bug.

Great!

> That leaves the initialising of log files.  I guess the lastlog one
> should be moved to the shadow package.  Definitely not the job of
> filesystem.  I am not sure what package should do the wtmp and btmp
> ones.  Anyone know?

As stated above: just remove it.

-t