[arch-dev-public] News announcement for TeXlive 2013

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 02:08:48 EDT 2013

I propose the following news article for the TeXLive 2013 update:

Title: TeXLive 2013 update may require user intervention

Content:

TeXLive 2013 packages are available: users upgrading from TeXLive 2012
will likely encounter the following error message when trying to use a
TeX engine (like latex, xelatex, luatex):

    (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

You can recognize such a situation in the pacman output during installation:

    >>> texlive: recreating all formats...
    /usr/bin/fmtutil: line 395: /usr/share/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: No
such file or directory
    fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
     done.

To solve the situation, the simplest situation if you did not do any
changes to files in `/etc/texmf`, is to overwrite configuration files
with the `.pacnew` files installed by `pacman`. The `pacdiff` utility
may be used for that purpose.

After processing the configuration files, run the following command:

    fmtutil-sys --all > /dev/null

it should not return error messages: please open a bug report if you
see any problems.

Removing TeXLive 2012 before installing TeXLive 2013 can also
workaround the issue.

Rémy.