[arch-dev-public] [RFC] moving libtxc_dxtn from [community] to [extra]

Laurent Carlier lordheavym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 05:17:46 EDT 2013

Le jeudi 18 juillet 2013 11:00:23 jan at jgc.homeip.net a écrit :

> I did raise my concerns, but somehow the mailinglist didn't post my
> message (guess the message is stuck in moderation queue).
>
> Anyways: libtxc_dxtn is no longer maintained and code has only been
> tested on i686. Do you really want to add such a dependency to packages
> like intel-dri, ati-dri and nouveau-dri? I would rather suggest an
> optdepend or add optdepends to games that need this library.
> Also, there's a reason why Mesa doesn't include this stuff.

I use it daily with x86_64, it's just a library that gives access to
compressed textures, the lack of "official" maintainer doesn't means it doesn't
work or will not be fixed in case of problems.

The fact that it's not part of mesa is because of patents (tips; we already
enable patented feature in mesa). This patent cannot be avoided with only an
enable/disable flag.

An optdepends could be a solution, but will not avoid bug reports about black
textures in games or applications. Easier and best solution is to add it as a
dependency, it's pretty lightweight (22 KB).

++

--
Laurent Carlier
ArchLinux Developer