[arch-dev-public] cleaning up unneeded static libraries?

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 2 04:16:56 EST 2013

Our packages in our repos by default don't need static libraries
(random .a files all around). I think they are a waste of disc space
and abuse bandwidth when uploading/mirroring packages. Most users will
never need them.

I suggest to drop all static libs by creating a ToDo list and install a
rule to not ship static libraries anymore, maybe with some exceptions.
Whenever users require static libs we should point to abs.

Opinions?

[andyrtr at workstation64 ~]$  pkgfile -v -g /usr/lib/\*.a | sort | wc -l
3417

There are probably more in other directories.

-Andy