[arch-dev-public] cleaning up unneeded static libraries?

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 2 17:41:29 EST 2013

Le 2013-03-02 05:14, Andreas Radke a écrit :
> Am Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:29:13 +1000
> schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
>
>> Just add *.a to PURGE_TARGETS in makepkg.conf rather than manually
>> removing them.  Anyone who needs them can disable that.
>>
>> (I will keep them in glibc/gcc/binutils...)
>>
>> Allan
>>
> Nice solution. We should add *.a to the default PURGE_TARGETS in the
> next pacman release. Static libs will die out then pretty quick.
>
> Maybe after some time a ToDo list could clean the older packages then.
>
> -Andy

I agree to remove unneeded static libraries. However, we need to take
care because the default building system of some packages, eg
suitesparse, only provide static libs. I suggest to send patches/bug
reports upstream for these packages.

For suitesparse, I sent a patch upstream a few months ago.

Cheers,

Stéphane